The Department of Physics, one of the major departments in the University, was established in 1953 with the Late Dr. N.R. Tawade, a distinguished spectroscopist, as it’s first Head. Many distinguished persons have since served on the faculty. Guided by a strong vision and mission, the department has not only been serving the cause of higher education but also contributing to the overall development of northern Karnataka. It has entered into its diamond jubilee year 2013-14. In the last sixty years the faculty has produced around 141 PhDs and published more than 736 research papers in journals of international repute. The Department is committed to achieve academic excellence, and all-round development of its students. The department has produced many batches of students who have excelled in research and teaching, with some having attained recognition both at the national and international levels, winning Bhatnagar prizes and becoming Academy fellows. Some have become Vice-Chancellors, administrators and entrepreneurs. In recognition of its high academic and research standards, the UGC, DST and DRDO have funded major programmes. The UGC has recognised the department as a Centre of Advanced Study in the thrust areas of Condensed Matter Physics and Laser Physics. The department is associated with major research programmes namely, UGC’s UPE and CPEPA and DST’s PURSE.
The Department of Physics strives to be recognised as a responsive centre of higher learning and world-class research, promoting excellence, fellowship, inclusiveness and professional and community development.
To promote excellence in teaching and research in physical sciences and foster development/learning through quality programs focused on student success and community needs.