In 1979 the Governments of Karnataka and Maharashtra reciprocally started the Post-Graduate Department of Studies in Marathi in Karnatak University, Dharwad and P.G. Department of Studies in Kannada at the Mumbai University, Mumbai, with a view to undertake higher research and comparative study in the fields of Kannada and Marathi Literature. Earlier to this M.A. was taught in Karnatak College since 1949.
- The vision of the Department is to impart knowledge of national language Hindi, its literature and Functional Hindi to Non-Hindi speaking students.
- To forge a strong bond between Marathi and Kannada Cultures through advanced research in Comparative Studie.
- To motivate scholars well – versed in communicative skills in both Marathi and Kannada Languages.
- To Produce true Teachers and Lecturers of high caliber
- To train students in the creative writing.